Sunday, February 8, 2015

Peggy McIntosh White Privilege Quotes

Quote 1: "I realized I had been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage, but had been taught not to see one of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts me at an advantage." (1) 

This quote made me think about Delpit's article and her fifth aspect of power that states "Those with power are frequently least aware of -or least willing to acknowledge -its existence. Those with less power are often most aware of its existence" what McIntosh is saying in this quote goes hand in hand with what Delpit said. We are taught all about racism and what people who fall victim to racism go through however we are never taught about white privilege and what that means for white people who do not fall victim to racism. This quote is basically saying that people focus more about the disadvantages racism causes but never stop to think about the advantages that white privilege causes. This is another point I would have never through about had I not read this article but now that I have I agree with it completely.

Quote 2:  "I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color that more or less matches my skin." (3)

This quote is just one of McIntosh's 26 conditions and although it may be the most simple of them all I feel like it was put last for a reason. I feel as if the simplicity of being able to go into a store and choose a Band-Aid of her skin color no questions asked sums up all 25 of the other points perfectly. It is something that a white person would not think twice about, and probably most colored people because it is the norm, but why is it the norm? Why in the society is it normal for a white person to be able to find a band-aid that matches their skin color but not a colored person? These are things that nobody puts much thought into because we were not taught to look at these things as white privileges, we were not taught to look at being white as a privilege at all.

Quote 3: " If these things are true, this is not such a free country; ones' life is not what one makes it; many doors open for certain people through no virtues of their own"

This quote is basically saying that we call our country a free country but it is in fact not free at all. they say your life is what you make it but that is not the case for all people. for some people, especially people of color things do not come very easily and regardless of what they do to get themselves out of a hole or to be successful it doesn't always happen. this quote is also saying that white privilege plays a big role in the succession of a white man regardless of if he asks for it or not. This is just something that is a norm in this society.







When signing up for this class I had no idea it was going to be so interesting and engaging. Many of the things we read about and talk about in class are things that I would have never thought twice about had I not taken this class. I feel as a future educator the lessons we are learning in these readings are very important and I am looking forward to what the rest of the semester brings.

3 comments:

  1. First off, I really like your picture, it made me laugh! :) Second, I really liked your third quote. That really stood out to me reading it as well. I posted like an article in my blog and it was about a student speaking of privileges, He describes those exact things about this country being free and spoke of the equal protection clause, and how it isn't in fact true. I completely agree with everything you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like the third quote you picked. It shows how we live in a world where more emphasis is put on what we were born into rather than what we do after we are born. It's unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your first quote and how you connected it to Delpit's article. I also had never really thought of racism as being about advantages. I think that we focus so much on the disadvantages of others, that we don't realize that we actually benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete